Monday, October 19, 2009

Are Cell Phones Too Distracting?


Nowadays, many people own a cell phone. Especially college students. Research has shown that talking on a phone while driving may be as dangerous as drunk driving. Hyman and colleagues have done many studies about how chatting or texting may affect you. Additionally, they had a clown unicycle around campus. The students talking away on their phones were less likely to notice the clown. Although, people who were listening to music on iPods noticed. The students who were walking in groups or pairs also noticed this unusual sight. Also, the young adults who were on their talking or texting on their phones tended to not walk straight or to weave through the campus.
In my opinion, cell phones are definitely way too distracting. I believe this because if students can't notice a clown on a unicycle then they are too involved with talking. Additionally, if people are weaving on campus the may bump into something or someone and cause a serious injury. In conclusion, students and other people should pay more attention to the world around them and not be so involved in their cell phones.

Date of article: 10/19/09

Site:
http://www.livescience.com/culture/091019-cell-phone-clown.html

1 comment:

  1. I agree that cellphones are distracting. I mean they didn't even notice a clown on a unicycle! I think students should only use their phone if they need it.

    ReplyDelete