Monday, May 17, 2010

Fish vs. Reflection?

Have you ever looked in the mirror and thought,"There is the ememy. Must attack!" Well, one of the toughest fish has. A male cichlid may be scared of his own reflection. A new study shows that squaring off to fight a mirror opponent can be worse than fighting a real foe. Apparently, the male cichlid is so buff looking that when he sees his reflection he thinks its his enemy! Actually, this fish trys to fight the mirror image with the same amount of force as a real foe. "Scientists have a long tradition of studying animal reactions to mirrors as a way of trying to explore animal consciousness. Great apes, elephants, dolphins and magpies show evidence of recognizing themselves when gazing into mirrors," says Diana Reiss of Hunter College in New York City, who studies animal cognition. "In experiments done so far, other animals, including monkeys and fish, don’t seem to get it." In my opinion, I am so grateful I know who I am when I look in the mirror. Not because of fighting though. It is because I would get annoyed of a copycat!

No comments:

Post a Comment